Video tutorial & screenshots
All comments (6)
This review applies to version 5.3.
The latest version of this software will soon be reviewed by our
PeaZip is a free archive file manager that allows you to create, browse, extract, and secure-delete archive files in all popular formats. The program can create archive files in such famous formats as ZIP, ARC, 7Z, BZ2, TAR, and others, while it can browse and extract archive files in more than 150 formats, including RAR, ISO, ACE, CAB, ARJ, ZIPX, and many more besides the previously-mentioned ones.
The program offers a simple and intuitive user interface that looks and behaves pretty much like a standard Windows Explorer. This interface includes a self-explanatory toolbar whose layout can be rotated among three view modes – Archive manager, File manager, and Image manager. The Archive manager mode provides you with specific commands to work with archive files, such as add to archive, convert, extract, delete from archive, etc. The File manager mode, on the other hand, offers you typical file management functionality, such as cut, copy, paste, and create new folder. Finally, the Image manager mode allows you to perform certain actions with your image files, such as rotate, crop, and transform them.
As you can see, PeaZip offers you more possibilities than simple archive file management. Other helpful functions that come with PeaZip are password management, secure file encryption, task scheduling, duplicate file finding, and file renaming, just to mention the most representative ones. All those extra functions and tools are a great value-add for PeaZip that you will hardly find in other archive file managers.
All in all, PeaZip is a great software tool that provides you with all the functionality you usually find on commercial archive managers, such as WinZip or WinRAR, and that includes even more helpful tools and functions. And you can enjoy all that functionality for free.
- Capable of extracting elements from archive files in more than 150 formats.
- Can be used as a standard file explorer.
- Includes basic image editing functions.
- Includes many additional helpful tools.
- A bit uncolored and "out-of-date" interface.
What's new in version 5.3
2014 05 04 (5.3.1):
- Various fixes.
- Improved handling of double file extension when creating archives.
- Updated translations and Windows' context menu localization scripts.
What's new in version 5.2
2013 11 25
(Windows Vista and newer) Improved UAC integration for archiving and extraction functions
- Improved file deletion modes
- Added very_fast mode (single pass random data) to Secure delete
- Fast mode (two pass random data) is now default mode for secure delete
- Added Zero delete, deletion mode overwriting existing file with all 0
(Windows) Introduced free space deletion modes
- Added Secure delete free space, overwriting with random data multiple times (same as secure file delete)
- Added Zero delete free space, overwriting with all 0 to improve compressibility of filesystem (i.e. disk image backup, virtual machine optimization)
Re-introduced local help file for offline support
Various fixes and improvements
- (Linux) fixed using output path as working directory
EXTRACTION and ARCHIVING
- "Extract all to" starts from input folder (or default extraction path, if set)
- Implemented extract/archive to original input folder: multiple input files from different paths can be extracted/archived each in its own path in a single pass
177 file extensions supported
- Added support for .msu (Microsoft update) and .mpp (Microsoft Project file)
What's new in version 5.1
- Package naming convention changed to fixed mayor.minor.revision format in order to always have 5 byte size for version string
2. FILE MANAGER
- Added Schedule tab integrated with system Task Scheduler for ease of creating scheduled archiving/extraction (i.e. backup/restore) scripts from a single place
- Improved bookmarks: when all bookmarks are deleted from application, bookmark list stays empty;
when bookmarks are deleted by application reset or deleting bookmarks file, default bookmarks are listed
- Various fixes
3. EXTRACTION and ARCHIVING
- Added support for .ipsw iOS devices firmware packages, 175 file extensions are now supported
4. WINDOWS INSTALLER
- Added "Check for updates link" in installer and system integration wizard
What's new in version 5.0
- Backend: PEA 0.44, UPX 3.09
- Code cleanup
- Bookmarks branch in navigation tree moved on first position, starts by default maximized and containing common useful locations
- Improved breadcrumb context menu, unified with refresh menu (features history menu, features entries to open in specified path the system's file explorer, command prompt, new instance of PeaZip, properties, and web search, features quick access to relevant filesystem paths (same as "Filesystem" menu top level)))
- Improved tasks wrapper (gwrap) for readability and clarity, explore input and output paths is now featured
- Improved Settings: reorganized and simplified
- Improved speed of adding items to archiving operations: by default directories' content is enumerated only on request (in layout's context menu)
- Improved tool bars, added New folder button in file manager bar and Rename in image manager
- Improved web search function for quick access to most relevant web resources
- New history menu containing recently visited pats and archives, session history and breadcrumb of current path (also in archive/extraction interface)
- System tools deduplicated and moved to context menu, always accessible, more tools available (Windows Vista and more recent) Added "Open PowerShell here" function)
- (Windows) Added quick links to user's music, pictures, and videos folders in browsing, and archiving/extraction interfaces
- (Windows) Free disk space and % displayed in standard status bar and in archiveing/axtraction interfaces
- (Windows) Improved adding multiple items from context menu functions
- Added support for displaying thumbnails of xpm, and pgm images
- Improved accessibility to various functions like bookmarks, web search, show thumbnails, open new instance, explore path
- Uniformed various menus and submenus so same groups of functions are easier to find at first sight
- Fixed: extract to new folder now ignored in drag and drop operations consistently to how most file archivers work
- Sizes of single input itmes in readable form
- 174 file extensions supported - added support to .crx Google Chrome extension, .maff Mozilla archive format, .mdf Alcohol 120 image files, and OPC files .cddx and .appv (Microsoft Application Virtualization).
What's new in version 4.8
Image manager, handles BMP, JPEG, PNG and TIFF images
rotate, flip, mirror, crop, transform: resize/fit to, and convert in a single passage
Functions side bar: quick acess to alphabetically sorted most commonly used functions of the program.
Presets in Organize menu collects most common browser's settings, featured also in Organize group in context menu and in status bar
Browser's presets can be toggled with Alt 6, Sorting is now toggled with Alt 5
Updated themes and PeaLauncher icon
Various minor fixes and enhancements
EXTRACTION and ARCHIVING
Improved mail integration
Send by mail option featured in main archive creation/conversion tab
Send by mail by default now does not keep a copy of the sent archive on the filesystem
Added Keep archive switch to optionally save on the filesystem archives sent by mail
Added -add2multi7zmail and -add2multizipmail switches (for context menu entries) to copress and mail
Added "Zip and mail" context menu entry, enabled by default, in context menu install screen
Added WIM to quick format selection menus
Fixed Convert quick format selection popup menu when browsing archives, only formats suitable for conversion procedure are presented
Fixed opening with custom application inside ARC format
PeaLauncher minimized status is inherited by following instances, in order to not steal focus when multiple instances are operating in background
Previewing archived files with PeaZip sets the temporary copy read only, so the user is presented "save as" dialog if files are changed
New installation option "No system integration", avoids menu entries and file associations
Default, Custom and No system integration options are now available in the Options > System integration wizard
What's new in version 4.4
PeaZip 4.4 improves extraction and archiving interfaces, with a new, simpler to read and use layout, clearly divided in input and output area, removing all redundant information and graphic, and featuring all most significant options in the first tab.
Alongside various other fixes and improvements, it is now possible to use only keyfiles, only passwords, or both, to encrypt files.
A total of 136 file extensions are supported (added support for opening OXT files as archives).
What's new in version 4.3
- Added support to open as archive EPUB ebook file format, a total of 135 file extensions are supported - formats usually not handled as archives can be opened from PeaZip's context menu "Open as archive" rather being associated with the application directly, which would be inconvenient for most users.
- Address field can now be set to be viewed as breadcrumb (default) or string, with "Show address as breadcrumb" flag in address bar navigation dropdown menu
- Improved password management
- Improved search
- Fixed: create ARC with relative paths fails if path contains space
- Open as archive moved to root level of file browser context menu for better visibility
What's new in version 4.2
Immersive mode for file browser (full screen, no window border), toggle with Ctrl F11 (option is volatile, not saved in configuration, it is just meant for enhancing browsing space on request)
Improved custom applications menus
allows 8 more applications, links or scripts
automatically detects recent AVG versions, Microsoft Security Essentials, Google Chrome
Improved thumbnail viewer
does not rebuild thumbnails when sorting
free memory changing small/large icon size
Fixed: (Windows) browsing computer's root may fail at application startup
Fixed: (Windows) loading list of objects from system context menu may not work under some conditions, only the first time application runs in a session
Fixed: descending sorting is now remembered
Fixed: correct size is now reported in status bar for selected items over 2GB
Various minor fixes and improvements
EXTRACTION and ARCHIVING
ARC format, now archiving relative paths by default, optionally absolute paths can be stored (advanced options tab in archive creation interface)
More information dispayed in report tab during operation: completed strings are displayed
Reduce packages size
some superseeded formats (lpaq1/5, paq8f/jd/l) moved to external plugin
uses uncompressed Winodws icons (package compression is more efficient)
What's new in version 3.9
PeaZip 3.9.1 updates application's look and feel, with new Windows icons and 48 px application's icons for "Icon" mode.
The new release adds support for ZIPX archives, and features contextual menus for toolbar buttons, i.e. to directly archive (or convert) selected items in the specified format, and for address bar (history, latest searches).
Packages were optimized in order to feature less files and 20% smaller installer, and now uses non compressed main executables to reduce memory usage of the application.
What's new in version 1.8
Updated frontend to use 7z 4.47 beta, adding support for archiving open for writing files, fast Deflate and Deflate64, read/write AES encrypted ZIP files (WinZip AE standard);
Added read support for ACE archives;
Added read support for SLP (Stampede Linux package);
Added suggest password function
PeaZip is a free Zip files utility, providing an unified, natively portable, cross-platform file and archive manager GUI for many Open Source technologies like 7-Zip, FreeArc, PAQ, UPX.
Create: 7Z, ARC, BZ2, GZ, *PAQ, PEA, QUAD/BALZ, TAR, UPX, WIM, XZ, ZIP files.
Extract 150+ archive types: ACE, ARJ, CAB, DMG, ISO, LHA, RAR, UDF, ZIPX and more.
Features of PeaZip includes extract, create and convert multiple archives at once, create self-extracting archives, split/join files, strong encryption with two factor authentication, encrypted password manager, secure deletion, find duplicate files, calculate hashes, export job definition as script.
All comments (6)